8 fun facts for lovers of round brilliant cut diamonds!
1. Round brilliant cut diamonds are the most popular diamond shape, making up approximately 75% of all diamonds sold.
2. The round brilliant cut diamond was first developed by Marcel Tolkowsky in 1919, and is still the most popular cut for diamonds today.
3. The round brilliant cut diamond has 57 or 58 facets, depending on whether or not there is a culet. The culet is the small flat facet on the bottom of the diamond.
4. The round brilliant cut diamond is designed to maximize the diamond's brilliance and fire, which refers to the way the diamond reflects and refracts light.
5. The round brilliant cut diamond is extremely versatile, and can look stunning in a variety of settings, including solitaire, halo, and three-stone designs.
6. Round brilliant cut diamonds are often more expensive than other diamond shapes due to the high demand and the amount of rough diamond that is lost during the cutting process.
7. The cut of a round brilliant diamond is graded based on a scale of Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor. A diamond with an Excellent cut will reflect the most light and have the most fire and brilliance.
8. The largest round brilliant cut diamond ever found is the Cullinan I, also known as the Star of Africa, which weighs 530.20 carats and is part of the British Crown Jewels.